SUPPORTING THE BRAVE CITIZENS OF IRAN
Whereas, every child woman and man around the world has certain inalienable rights, including the right to live in a nation with a representative system of government based on the consent of the governed; and
Whereas, the people of Iran have been living under a corrupt and brutal dictatorship ("the Regime") for almost a half century; and
Whereas, the Regime routinely arrests, imprisons and sentences protesters to death after secret sham trials without the right to legal counsel and without due process of law; and
Whereas, the Regime controls the people of Iran and intrudes in their private lives, including freedom of dress, freedom to own property, freedom to receive an education, freedom to earn a living and freedom to dance, sing and listen to music; and
Whereas, the people of Iran have been in a constant state of protest for the last four months seeking human rights, freedom and a democratic system of government; and
Whereas, the women of Iran are at the forefront of this movement for human rights, freedom and democracy; and
Whereas, the protesters in the streets of Iran are shouting "Woman, life, freedom!" "Down with the dictators" and "Our enemy is here, the Regime lies when it blames America”; and
Whereas, the Regime responds to the peaceful demands of its own people with military force, killing hundreds of protesters in the process; and
Whereas, the Regime responds by arresting journalists who report on the protests, lawyers who attempt to represent the protesters and doctors and nurses who provide lifesaving medical care to the protesters; and
Whereas, the Regime is a known state sponsor of terror in the Middle East and beyond that is currently supplying Russia with military drones used to kill Ukrainian civilians in the unjust and unlawful Russian war on Ukraine.
Be it proclaimed by Representatives David Cook and Laura Terech:
1. That the Members of the House of Representatives are urged to support the brave Iranian protesters seeking their inalienable human rights, freedoms and a democratic system of government.
2. That the Members of the House of Representatives are encouraged to condemn the Regime's violent killings.
3. That the Members of the House of Representatives are urged to condemn the Regime's use of mass arrests, torture, forced confessions, show trials and executions of thousands of peaceful protestors.
4. That the Members of the House of Representatives are encouraged to support a human rights‑focused foreign policy toward Iran that ensures accountability for the Regime's crimes and supports the Iranian people's quest for self-determination.
5. That the Members of the House of Representatives are urged to echo the freedom call of the people of Iran: “Woman, life, freedom!”